Sunday, March 30, 2008

Why do you do what you do?

I don't think I've written much about the lifestyle and climate here in New Zealand. Most days it's been between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. During the first few weeks we had a strong breeze coming from the Antarctic which made it feel cooler, especially on the beach. It has dropped in the last few weeks, making it more enjoyable. So far I've tried a few new foods. I've had fish and chips (deep fried shark with french fries) a couple of times and today I had salmon. There is a lot of free time in the schedule. This is occupied by hanging out with classmates, reading, walking along the beach, and praying. In short while I am learning and lot and growing it is also a complete vacation from the worries of normal life: having to watch that TV show or movie, needing to pay those bills, wishing I was playing that game. I'm enjoying it.

By the way, for those who haven't tried a media fast I'd suggest you give it a shot. Try going a week without TV, web sites, movies, and so forth. It really opens you up to spending time seeking God, doing homework, hanging out with friends and talking, and so forth.

This week we had Mark Johnson from Steiger Minneapolis teach. During a men's group he challenged us to write down a list of what we do every day. Then take a look at that list and see what it reveals about yourself, what the underlying assumptions or values are. Some of them will be good. Others may reveal some lies at the core of your being. This brought some additional clarity to why I do some things and shrink from others. The next step is to bring about a change. Molly suggested making a two column list with the lies on one side and the truth from the Bible on the other. When the lies come into your head respond by speaking aloud the truth.

No comments: